The Divorce Support Group at Synergetic Psychotherapy assists clients who are going through the process of separation and/or divorce…
Divorce can often be a complex and difficult process…but you don’t have to go through it alone. The end of a romantic relationship is a painful and difficult event. Whether you’ve been dating for a short period of time, or married for decades, you may be overcome with complex feelings of confusion, abandonment, sadness, anger, fear, and guilt (just to name a few). You are mourning the loss of someone significant in your life. Recovering (and growing) from a breakup or divorce is indeed possible.
Both individual and group therapy are helpful ways to help you through the recovery process. Group therapy can provide an immediate sense that you’re not alone with a particular difficulty. Through group participation, you will be able to give and receive strength from others facing similar feelings and challenges.
One of the losses commonly associated with separation/divorce is the loss of social supports. The transition between living with a spouse and living on your own can be very destabilizing and lonely. A divorce support group provides ready access to a group of “fellow travelers” who understand the major life transitions that divorce brings.
I lead weekly hour-long divorce support groups for both men and women at my office in New York City.
These groups helps members to:
- Feeling supported/connect with others
- Pay attention to their emotional needs
- Process and move past difficult feelings
- Improve self-esteem
- Let go and move forward
As the divorce support group facilitator, I work to do the following:
- Support each member in defining individual goals and working towards them as a participant of a cohesive group.
- Facilitate individual sharing and feedback
- Normalize and validate members’ feelings and assist them in working through relevant issues
- Promote the giving and receiving of support and education between members
- Support members in moving through the various milestones and stages of the divorce process, encourage empowerment
- Help members locate resources and build individual support systems beyond the group itself
Please contact me to learn more details about the group. I look forward to hearing from you!